CLEVELAND, Ohio – A survey that indicated 60 % of Cuyahoga County residents oppose a ten-cent charge for plastic and paper luggage is severely flawed, a communications advisor selling the payment stated Wednesday.
“I been round political consulting for quite a few years and seen lots of polls,” stated Alan Melamed of Melamed Communications. He stated it’s clear to him that the ballot, commissioned by the American Progressive Bag Alliance, which opposes the payment, isn’t respectable.
The survey of 300 residents, carried out from Nov. 9 to thirteen by Victory Telephone, additionally discovered that fifty five % or respondents use plastic luggage, 33 % use reusable luggage and eight % use paper luggage once they store for groceries. After they bring about a plastic bag residence, sixty nine % reuse them, 28 % recycle them and three % throw them away.
Cuyahoga County residents oppose a ten-cent bag charge, in response to survey by bag alliance
County Council is contemplating laws proposed by council member Sunny Simon and co-sponsored by Dale Miller that might require many patrons to pay 10 cents for every plastic or paper bag they use starting July 1, 2018.
The laws, which has had quite a few hearings earlier than a council committee, has been referred to the committee of the entire.
Melamed stated he has been retained by an individual who needs to stay nameless to advertise the payment.
“We’ve got been requested to assist a grassroots effort to garner help,” he stated. “We’re doing outreach to varied organizations, a mailing and making an attempt to mobilize individuals on behalf of the trouble.”
Listed here are a few of what Melamed views as flaws within the survey methodology:
- Respondents have been requested in the event that they supported a tax, with out deliver advised the the aim of the tax.
- The questions slant the intent of the county’s proposed laws by calling the payment a tax and stating that the proceeds will go to company retailers with out saying nearly all of the cash will go into an environmental remediation fund.
- The questions usually are not numbered, which suggests the sponsors excluded questions as a result of the outcomes have been unfavorable to their trigger.
- There isn’t any assertion on methodology, which is taken into account commonplace for publicly releasing and publishing knowledge.
- A pattern measurement of 300 respondents is small in a such a socially- and ethnically-numerous county.
- If the survey was completed utilizing an auto-dialer, because it was an automatic survey, the research couldn’t embrace cellphone numbers.
The ten-cent charge would apply to institutions that…