Bodycam video shows Utah officer fatally shoot fleeing man

The Salt Lake Metropolis District Lawyer’s workplace launched the bodycam footage in a deadly police-concerned capturing it has since stated was justified.

A Salt Lake Metropolis police officer, recognized as Officer Kris Smith, pulled over 50-yr-previous Patrick Harmon after watching him experience his bicycle throughout all six lanes and the median of State Road the night time of Aug. thirteen, the Salt Lake Tribune reported. Harmon’s bike was lacking its required purple tail mild, in line with paperwork from the DA’s workplace.

When requested for identification, Harmon gave the officer a reputation that was not within the database, prompting him to name for backup. Officer Clinton Fox responded with one other officer.

Footage from all three cops launched by officers Wednesday exhibits Smith once more ask Harmon to spell his identify. In line with the district lawyer’s report, Harmon gave “a few totally different names.”

Video exhibits aftermath of lethal Topeka police capturing

After Smith was capable of determine Harmon, he discovered he had lively felony warrants for aggravated assault, in accordance with prosecutors. Harmon appeared “emotional and distraught” and advised officers he had been making an attempt to deal with it, Fox testified.

The officers informed him he was going to be arrested, however Harmon “bolted and ran.” Because the trio of cops pursued him, Harmon “turned shortly” to face them, in accordance with the Tribune.

SLCPD bodycam footage of Patrick Harmon, 50, deadly capturing


Smith drew his Taser whereas Fox and the opposite officer drew their firearms. All three reported that Harmon threatened to chop them and that they noticed him reaching for his pocket.

Investigators did discover a knife on the bottom on the scene, in line with the newspaper.

NYPD work slowdown did not improve crime

Within the footage, Fox might be heard shouting, “I’ll f—ing shoot you!” earlier than he fires off three rounds simply as the opposite officer discharges his stun gun.

Harmon was handcuffed and transported to the a hospital the place he was pronounced lifeless a short while later.

Prosecutors in Salt Lake Metropolis stated the capturing was justified as a result of the officers feared for his or her lives. Harmon’s niece Alisha Shaw pushed again towards such claims.

“They only murdered him flat out,” she informed the Guardian. “They’re mendacity. There isn’t any approach they have been threatened by something. He was solely…

Source link